The association has a long history. Between 1888 and 1915, an association of Nevada newspapers was organized and re-organized several times. In 1924, a journalism professor at the University of Nevada in Reno led the reorganization of the association, which officially became known as the Nevada State Press Association.
The organization dropped “State” from its name in 1995, becoming the Nevada Press Association.
An 11-member board of officers and directors, elected by member newspapers, governs the association.
The Nevada Press Association is dedicated to representing the common interests of Nevada newspapers, furthering the public’s right to know through an understanding that strong newspapers (protected by the First Amendment) are the cornerstone of a democratic society, promoting a closer fellowship within the newspaper fraternity, encouraging the elevation of journalistic standards and promoting the value of newspaper advertising.
Here’s a link to reference materials about Nevada newspapers on file at the Nevada State Library and Archives.